Sunday, February 27, 2011

Almond Trees

A traveler came upon an elderly woman who was busy planting almond trees in her garden.  It was a scorching hot, summer day, and the sun was beating down mercilessly on her as she worked.

The traveler passed close by and asked her, "Forgive me for my question dear lady, but how old are you?"

The old woman replied, "I'm eighty-seven."

"You are too old to be out in this heat!" said the young man.  "Why are you still working so hard?"

"Well, because I'm here," she replied.

"Yes I can see that," said the traveler, "but why are you working under the scorching sun?"

"Because the sun is there," replied the old woman.

The traveler became slightly concerned at this point, and he thought perhaps the old woman had gone mad from the heat.

He decided to ask another question to gauge her response.  Knowing that almond trees take many years to mature, he commented, "Dear lady, it seems odd that a woman of your advanced age would plant such a slow-growing tree."

The old woman replied, "Young man, I live my life based on two principles. One is that I will live forever; the other is that this is my last day."

----------

The old woman loves to work in her garden.  She's not concerned with how hot it is, or how cold.  Maybe the soil is too dry today, it may be too wet tomorrow.  What does it matter?  The time and the conditions are never perfect to do what we enjoy.  They're never going to be perfect for anything.

She likes to work in her garden.  She likes planting almond trees.

Life for her may last another 20 years, or perhaps another 20 minutes.   What difference would it make?   She's doing something she loves.

She's planting almond trees.


Enjoy the ride. 
~~~~~~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment